Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Opinion: Writing Erotica

As somebody with pretentions of being a decent writer, I find writing erotic stories to be extremely difficult. I had a friend who wrote erotic short stories. She spent time on them and tried to elevate them to a level above the Penthouse Forum variety of story telling which is pretty much a step by step description of what each body part is doing, to whom, and in what sequence. When she asked me to write a story to show her some day, I was dumbfounded at how difficult it was. Forgive the purient double entendre, but I think producing an erotic short story has to be the single hardest style of writing out there. (Heh-heh: he said "hard.")

Photo by Morey
After all, what turns a person on is deeply personal and usually not universal. One person's sexy fetish is an outright turn-off for others. Even worse are the language pitfalls. In order to produce sophisticated erotica a writer might be tempted to use euphamisms like "throbing member" and the like, but to my mind this comes off as cheesy and not sexy.

On the other hand, the very artlessness of some sex slang which can be a turn on for some, is deeply offensive to others. An example might be "cunt".And as an aside, I really wish this word could be rehabilitated for at least common bedroom use. Personally I don't think there's any other slang for the vagina that pairs off as well with "cock". The other alternative (pussy, box, snatch, quim, minge, etc.) all lack a certain edge and seriousness of tone. And ironically enough, cunt isn't even slang. It's actually a proper word that comes to us from the Old English spoken during the Dark Ages.

Nevertheless, in spite of my fears, I did finally manage to write a couple of erotic stories. What got me over writer's block and fear of failure was a technique of treating an erotic story like an improv performance. You know how the comic on stage asks for a place, profession and object and builds a skit around it? Well, I've tried to do something similar. It actually helps me to write a story if I have one person in mind. Anything I write I try to tailor to what I know about that one person's turn-ons and fetishes.

Does it result in high quality erotic writing? Well, I can't say if it does. But at least I'm writing and my targeted audience of one can at least appreciate the effort. And how does the cliche go? "If you manage to touch one person, then it's all worthwhile." (Heh-heh: he said...)

No comments:

Post a Comment